It's fake because I was doing something while watching it.
So, the movie Manhattan is a Woody Allen movie, my first one I have watched by him. He is the main character in a 1979 New York City black and white film. He has this 17 year old girl in a relationship with him as he is 42. What the what? The entire movie he tells all his friends he is just fooling around and keeps pretty much belittling the situation. To his credit he belittles it in front of the 17 year old's face too. But he falls in 'love' with some other woman who is more his age and then breaks up with the child. And he really expected a 17 year old to understand that he was just messing around!? This girl was in love! He just so curtly broke her heart and didn't really care. The woman runs to his friend and he then 'romantically' runs across town to get back with the child before she goes to college in London. He was really trying to derail her life plans because he had nowhere else to run, woman-wise. She asked Woody is he loved her, and he just mumbled yea, sure, pretty much whatever to say to bring her back into the fold. She says she will be back in 6 months and that if they love each other, it will persist through that. He tells her to stop being so mature about it and just cancel all her plans. Luckily, she doesn't and the movie ends there.
Maybe it is just the movie being good and believable that I am so mad at Woody Allen's character, but he really pisses me off. First off, where did you find this 17 year old? What were you doing in good conscience running back to her after breaking her heart, knowing you really didn't love her? How can you be 42, divorced, and still be so immature with peoples emotions? So readily intimate and ready to play a facade of a relationship?
I guess it makes me so mad because I always wonder about love and convenience. He wears the L word very very thin in this movie. It means nothing. NOTHING by the end of it. He just looks so pathetic and animal begging this teen to love him. The teen does say something that was interesting earlier in the movie though. She said love bounces from person to person and maybe we aren't meant to be with one person forever.
I was having a long discussion with Ronnie the other day because a friend of ours just proposed to his long time girl. It was about the actual meaning of marriage in today's society, especially with a much less religious prevalence. And I posed the question similar to the teens. But to counter it, I also posed the idea of finding love in anyone, like an arranged marriage. Isn't there a point in every relationship where it is, "This is my situation, let me make the best of it?". To settle. But, I don't want that word to sound so bad, lol. It kind of related to my '20 potential loves' blog. I guess you just have to know your price. When can you be sold without having to know everything that could possibly happen in the relationship?
Endnote- Annnnyway, excited for BBQ with fam this weekend. I should stop blogging about relationship stuff, absolutely no field work on my part, just thoughts.
No comments:
Post a Comment