Thursday, December 17, 2015

Morality

Reading about history makes me feel more and more that morality isn't. You can pretty much make an excel spreadsheet with different characteristics and forces at play and predict with a good amount of accuracy what 'morality' a person in a given situation will have. 

The answer I have been pursuing since 2012 has been if we are truly inherent in our being. Is there a unique spark in us, besides genes, biology, time and place, that makes us who we are. 

Or, is it only time, place, genes, and biology? What is the problem with that Sheem? 

I guess the issue I have with that is how we treat each other. Most people see themselves as the 'good' one. The hero of the story. That somehow because others are different and have different motivations, they are either better or worse. Morality. 

I was recently telling someone about my spirit with religion, and the one thing I say really made me go away was the constant need to hate others. Look down on others. All throughout college I was friendly with people, but in the back of my mind I would be like 'too bad they're bad, and are lost'. 

That shut down is what sickens me. 'You don't qualify for my bullet list of morals, therefore I'll stop exploring your nature, and definitely ignore any lessons you could teach me.'

So what would Sheem's ideal world look like? .....if ..... We are truly of our environment, we can then relax and accept people for their morality and views in things. No more trying to prove you are 'on the right side of history' (as if history doesn't change over time). Just people listening and engaging with each other. Swapping free ideas and growing in their path without shutting out opponents. 

Without morality we could all be friends. 

Of course if your father was a military general in Pinochets Chilean regime, you would understand and likely support the types of things that government did and side with that parties affiliation. Because you love your father. But it's never that simple to you. In your head you convince yourself that logically mass murder was the lesser evil alternative to getting out of a recession. Of course it was the just thing to do. Other wise a whole world view and thousands of decisions you made in your life would have to be reevaluated. That would be too painful, so let's keep our morals right where they are. 

I want to break every moral hold I have. I don't want to be like that Chilean. 

Endnote- need to write about what it means to be a nation, liberals, and Trump

No comments:

Post a Comment