Friday, August 12, 2011

Day 52: Purism

Sitting in the ATL airport about to take off for CHINA!!!!! Its still not hitting me that I'm going to China today, well tomorrow because of the time change. I had a really good time in GA. My high school friends are really cool. I hung out with the Valedictorian almost everyday, lol, so I was in good company, I only hang with celebrities. We played volleyball 50% or more of my days there, no joke. It killed badminton, basketball, and frisbee. I didnt play any of those except a pathetic game of frisbee, which was supposed to be the final Berkmar Frisbee Club game ever.

Hanging out with my nieces was also really intriguing. They are so interesting with their teenage-ness, lol. I felt like a bad uncle when I left to play with my friends everyday though. Hana's kids were as great as usual. I invented alot of new sayings and crap as usual. I dont know where I get it from. I would always ask them what their hobby is. I dont know why. I guess I want them to be interested in something. I think I'm going to ask my kids that everyday, jk, they'll hate me. I think I'm going to make them do a report everyday too, from like wikipedia. Yea, my kids will hate me, but love me later. Your welcome children. Lol.

Track practice was kinda difficult. Everything is so car-y in GA. That's the thing I hate about the place. We don't live in towns, or close knit communities at all. Everything is just big roads connecting you to ATL or other places. No places where the community can walk around and check out the local flavor. But I guess thats what the suburbs are these days. I did get what I wanted to accomplish done though. My run-thru feels so great now. Muhammad even said he loved it. YAY

I got my haircut yesterday. I was planning on just edging up my fro, but I got some suggestions from friends who said the fro needs to go. But I plan on rocking it when I get back to VT for a semester or at least Thanksgiving probably. I want a nice fro-y, sweater-y, corny look this Fall. Its whats hot for Fall 2011. Trust me, I'm a trend-setter. Anyway, the conversation they had in the barbershop was great for once. The barbers were getting intense as to what degree the white man is still holding the black man down, and what tactics he is using. There was a nice array of opinion, of course I just sat there, too young to state anything, plus, like I said before, I have no positions on anything currently, I'm just floating and taking it all in. But the beliefs I have left were altered alittle bit though, I was always of the school that says, "eff race, in today's America, anyone can do anything". And I looked at me as an example, lower-class background, decided to push for an out-of-state school to get a good Architecture education. I felt like anyone can do that. But the barbers kinda convinced me that there are mental traps the white man sets up sometimes to keep the black man down. They mentioned something about empowering the "sista's" so they feel like they don't need a man for anything. They made much better points too, but they escape me at the moment. As I left the shop, one of them said, "Stay Black". And thats important. I have always felt like race doesn't matter anymore. But when I walk down the street, I'm going to be viewed as a Black man regardless of who I am and what I do. I could be the best architect in the world. But I would be black, before I'd be Hasheem.

Dang, they made so many good points but I cant recall them. I read a an article about a Muslim Woman who was talking about Islamic feminism. It was really confusing. Pretty much doing anything was considered asserting your femininity. You could wear a burqa, and that was asserting it. You could wear a mini-skirt, and that was asserting it. I guess her take away point is that feminism means women choose how to 'do' them. I don't know why I am so interested in feminism. Mai got me into it, but I don't know why I keep up with it still. Just interesting seeing the woman's perspective in a world where roles are really not gender specific. Anywho, about to catch my flight, I'll blog soon when I'm in China!! Hopefully, I can do a daily blog thing, cuz I will definitely forget some stuff if I save it all till the end.

Endnote- What the crap dreams. You dream of someone now when you don't talk to them, but when you did, you noticably NEVER dreamed of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment