The dream is over. Since Virginia Tech athletics is paying for my schooling this year, I cannot help out with the team. I was so excited about being on the other side of the track world and coaching. I remember my happiest moment during the outdoor season was watching my friend and teammate Ronnie, win the Regional meet. And that stuck with me because I was competing too, but I yelled so loud when he cleared his high jump bar, it was embarrassing looking back on it. Not to say I didn't enjoy my final outdoor season, but it was so under-performed until the NCAA championships, that it was just a huge relief, and not a joy, to have broken the school record and all that other crap in my final meet.
But yea, had a long talk with the coaches yesterday and they explained to me that it is only because the athletic department is funding my studies. If say architecture was funding me it would be fine. But that sucks, I just had half of a week of coaching and was just warming up, now I just have to be a happy fan, which will be cool once I get over this, but maaaan. I think I am going to have an identity crisis now because I always gained confidence from being associated with athletics even if I never told anybody. It sounds so stupid, but in a society that idolizes athletes, c'mon. And coaching this year kept that up.
But now I be a fan, hopefully I will be just as confident and a better student of architecture. I actually am really excited about my project this semester, it is a 2 person team and I have some killer ideas for our apartment building in NYC. My partner is really poetic with his design and I have become maybe too pragmatic and machinist with my approach, so I think it has the potential to be a great mix.
Endnote - "Coach Helm" originates from a track meet last year. The lady kept messing up my last name when she would call my turn to jump. "Helm up, I mean Hamlin? Halim? Halim up! I'm sorry!" She was so precious.
No comments:
Post a Comment