I have like 5 blogs to write, but this happened today, and I'll probably forget it. So, a couple weeks ago, I wrote my congressman to just let him know my view on the Israel-Palestine conflict. I just told him the U.S. needs to take a position of peace instead of blatantly supporting Israel. I thought nothing of it. I really needed to write him because I felt so powerless watching the most recent scuffle unfolding in the news. So, I figured it's a democracy, so I'll do what I can.
So, today, over 2 weeks later completely forgetting I sent the thing, I get a call from a 202 number and I don't answer it, I wonder whose number from Washington I don't have? Then I hear the voice message. He was a worker for my congressman calling just to discuss my comment on the topic. After I heard that, my head just felt super dizzy, like oh my gosh! They actually read it and wanted to talk about it. Then I thought, oh crap, they are gonna bug all my stuff and mess up my life.
So, after I ate my Subway sandwich, I called him back. I was kinda disappointed. I expected a great debate on the topic, but the worker was really passive. He just asked if I had something I wanted to relay to my congressman, told him the same thing I said in my email. Then he just stated the congressman's view on the conflict. He said, Israel is America's democratic ally in the Mid-East and we need to do what we can to help a friend. If he didn't sound so uninspired, and if he wasn't so quiet and blurry on the phone I would have entertained a conversation, but I was just like, okie dokie, and ended the conversation. The guy just seemed like he was instructed to do this, not like he really wanted to convince his constituency of America's ideals. Makes sense, he is just a worker.
But it was just wild seeing my actions actually have a consequence, it gave me a sense of power that I know is futile, but still, it made me feel good that my words actually can impact something even though I know it means nothing in the grand scheme of things.
Endnote- Ke$ha's new album dropped, go cop it, hehe jk
Fez n the Feds!! You don't know how PROUD I am for making a difference for people who are oppressed, who and whereever they happen to be...If you were on 'what would you do" you would be the one to make a difference to help someone out and not look the other way...mark of a free man! Alhamdulilah!! I love you
ReplyDeleteIt is admirable that you were moved enough to do something like writing your congressman
ReplyDeleteWow hash way to be! shocking that they called back... and answered ur return call!
ReplyDelete