Friday, December 14, 2012

Iteration

I am getting there. As I was having trouble turning my keys to get into my apartment, I had actual welling of my eyes. It had been such a sad day, just sad, not in the sad sense, just sad-y. The Connecticut shootings sent pangs of feel up and down my spine. It was just too much for me to handle though. I recognized in myself that it was just a news story to me, not a life thing, not an impacting thing of my life. Just a new thing to discuss. But I began to feel for the story, reading my twitter feed,  and just the story on CNN and stuff, I began to dig into some feeling.

I was actually thinking about the 2nd amendment just the other day. So I can be a hipster and say that I was thinking about it before it was mainstream, but now's not the time for such pettiness. I don't know what I think about it. I want to say ban guns. Even though people will still kill with other means, or get illegal guns, it would put people at more of a calm I think. Imagine a guy trying to kill 20 kids with a knife? Thing about a gun is the speed and range you can strike people down. Three or four stabs, and the kids would have ran off or some adults would try to over power. I know I know, I heard about the story out of China, but it's less likely. The Amendment states the bear arms thing to prevent the people from being oppressed by the government, in my opinion, what is a gun to nuclear weapons?

Hmm, but I feel the right to protect yourself argument. As a guy, however sexist that may be, I get the notion of being able to guard your family.

But I really don't think there is a solution, not one that will be reached. People want to point to something, to prevent the next one, and it is satisfying formulating and voicing an opinion, because at least mentally you have solved it, and now it is up to reality to keep up with your intellectual highness. Perceived control of your life. But a lunatic is a lunatic, and you can't really put anything in place to stop it.

So, I guess the only thing to do is appreciate your now, live everyday with purpose and all that other cheesy crap. But it's cliche for a reason, because it is mostly valid.

In other news, I just got another jolt of, "who do I really even know", because one of my best friends surprised me with his actions. That made me frustrated and added to my teary eyes.

Endnote- That's all for now, have a nice weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment