Monday, March 24, 2014

Crimea

It has been very interesting following this story since probably October. I listen to the bbc world news podcast every morning driving to work. It was such a small protest but turned into annexation of Crimea?! I am very interested in seeing how the 'west' responds to Russia realistically. On NPR they mentioned how some European countries are all talk because of the economic implications in an already tough economic time. So to really put sanctions on Russia would really hurt. America really doesn't have vital ties so they can keep pushing as hard as they want and keep pulling Europe to their side and try to pull China as hard as they can. 

What I am interested in seeing is if this whole situation will finally blow the lid off of politics. There is rarely any diplomacy strictly done on principle. Russia has a huge economy, they will still trade with Europe. They will keep Crimea, and then everyone will realize it's really all money and power. And this will show especially if China buddies with Russia. The US will simply agree to terms. Too much trade with China to care about useless Ukraine.

An easy example as to why I believe this is what is happening in the Central African Republic. Christians and Muslims are fighting because that's what ideologies make you do. So the Muslims are getting killed and ran off. There are even reports of Christians eating Muslims, I take that to exemplify how they deem them less than human. And will anyone step in like the west did in the Ukraine revolutions? No because there is no monetary or strategic victories in that circumstance. To be fair France is there and the UN has promised some troops.

But still, if us as people continue to lie about why we care about certain crises over others on pretenses of principle, all you have to do is look around at what isn't being cared about. Nobody will talk about Tibet. Nobody will touch Palestine objectively. There are no good guys. The way we portray Russia is the way Russia portrays us and both are valid to an extent. The same imperial monster who wants power. 

Endnote- Russia actually had the 2nd most applications for asylum away from them behind Syria this past year. I was always skeptical of the west painting Russia in a bad light but I think things there aren't rosy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment