Yesterday I had Waffle House with a friend. I loved our waiter. I wanted to know his entire life and dreams. But I couldn't. He was so far from the conversation me and my friend were having, yet so close physically. That has to mean something?
He approached us with his waffle house hat brim flattened as is the style now. He had a neck Tattoo of a heart or something. His name tag had a pin that said "Oh Shit" on it. And his name was "Unique". He was black, he kind of reminded me of my personality when I was 9 or so. His voice was quiet and had a tinge of honest concern in it when asking if we needed more water or if the food was ok. It was as if we were at his house and he was trying to be a good host and wanted me to be his friend, but was able to handle if I was rude to him. If he didn't have to use his hand he would coil it back in his long sleeve shirt.
When he gave us our checks, he gave it to us face down, as is the custom. On the back his name was written. "VNIXVC", in all caps.
As we were leaving, I was wondering if he was sad. He seemed distant from what he was actually doing. I was glad to hear him crack a joke as we were walking out the door.
He approached us with his waffle house hat brim flattened as is the style now. He had a neck Tattoo of a heart or something. His name tag had a pin that said "Oh Shit" on it. And his name was "Unique". He was black, he kind of reminded me of my personality when I was 9 or so. His voice was quiet and had a tinge of honest concern in it when asking if we needed more water or if the food was ok. It was as if we were at his house and he was trying to be a good host and wanted me to be his friend, but was able to handle if I was rude to him. If he didn't have to use his hand he would coil it back in his long sleeve shirt.
When he gave us our checks, he gave it to us face down, as is the custom. On the back his name was written. "VNIXVC", in all caps.
As we were leaving, I was wondering if he was sad. He seemed distant from what he was actually doing. I was glad to hear him crack a joke as we were walking out the door.
No comments:
Post a Comment